Buttermilk Berry Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup sugar set aside 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour set aside 2 tbsp to toss with the berries
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, or chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice combined
Cook with the Chef!
Preheat the oven to 350ºF
Using a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, cream the butter with the lemon zest and the 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
Add half of the flour mixture to the batter, mix to incorporate. Add all of the buttermilk. Stir until combined. Add remaining flour, and stir until combined. Fold in the berries.
Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non-stick spray. Sprinkle the batter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Can be served cold or warm. Store, covered, on the counter for up to 4 days.