- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
Lemon Orange Filling
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (about 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (about 2 oranges)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished bars out. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and salt. Add the flour and stir to completely combine.
- Press firmly into your prepared pan, making sure the layer of crust is nice and even.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven. Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the warm crust (not all the way through the crust). Set aside.
- For the filling, whisk together the sugar, flour, and orange zest in a large bowl. Whisk together for 1-2 minutes, until the sugar brings out the oils in the zest.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon and orange juices until completely combined.
- Pour filling over your crust (it does not have to be cooled!) Bake the bars for 22-26 minutes, or until the center is relatively set and no longer jiggles.
- Remove bars from the oven and cool completely at room temperature. Place in the fridge and chill for at least 4 hours, to completely set. This will make slicing the bars much easier.
- To slice, lift the parchment paper out of the pan using the overhang on the sides. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares before serving. For neat squares, wipe the knife clean between each cut. Cover and store leftover bars in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Please follow and like us: