Pesto Macaroni and Cheese
This classic dish gets a green flavor punch when you mix in a bit of your favorite pesto!
- 1 lb short pasta (elbows, rotini, shells, etc, cooked until tender and drained)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup (4 ounces) mozzarella cheese ( shredded)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Monterrey jack cheese ( shredded)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
Over medium high heat, melt butter in a large saucepan and whisk in flour. Cook, while whisking, for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking to combine with each addition. Cook until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in pesto, whisking to combine. Stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can use whatever cheeses are your favorite in this recipe. Use white cheeses to make the pesto green really pop!