Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet
- 4 small or 2 large, butterflied in half chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado
- oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt plus more for seasoning chicken
- ½ tsp ground black pepper plus more for seasoning chicken
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 small zucchini diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cilantro
Enough Talk, Let’s Cook Together
Season the chicken with salt and pepper on each side; set aside.
Heat a medium heavy bottomed high-sided pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil and onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
Push onion and garlic to the side and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the chicken in the pan, and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. You’re just going to sear the chicken here; it will finish cooking during the final step.
Add cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, rice, cauliflower and zucchini. Stir to combine.
Add salsa verde and chicken broth, then scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Let mixture come up to a boil, then cover with a tight fitting lid, and lower the heat to medium-low.
Simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Stir in cilantro.
Please follow and like us: